mpiseno at gatech dot edu
I am a student at the Georgia Institute of Technology majoring in computer science and mathematics. My research interests center around developing collaborative general-purpose embodied AI; in other words, AI that can see and interact with its environment in a broadly intelligent way. I am a teaching assistant for CS 7643 Deep Learning. Additionally, I am a senior class representative in the Student Government Association and a chair on the board of directors of the Georgia Tech chapter of SHPE, where I lead the Profession Experience Program (PEP). I also founded Fractal, a nonprofit dedicated to promoting computer science education in underrepresented communities with a focus on AI.
Previously I was an Software Engineer Intern at Dropbox, a Software Engineer Intern at Facebook AI Research, a Software Engineer Intern at Amazon A9, and a Research Intern at Georgia Tech Research Instutre (GTRI).
On a more personal note, I grew up on the south side of Atlanta, where I attended Luella High School, which is the root of my passion for improving educational opportunities in underrepresented communities. Outside of school, I love snowboarding and learning languages. I have snowboarded all over North America and speak both Chinese (Mandarin) and Spanish at a conversational level. I also spend time volunteering; I have mentored for several hackathons including TreeHacks, HackGT, and Catalyst, and spent time volunteering with the Atlanta Community Food Bank during the covid-19 pandemic.
- November 2020 → Accepted an internship as a Research Intern at IBM Research for 2021.
- July 2020 → Named an Intel Scholar.
- July 2020 → Named a Tapia Conference Scholar.
- July 2020 → Named an LSAMP Scholar.
- May 2020 → Started a summer internship at Dropbox as an Software Engineer Intern working on ML Infrastructure for a new user facing product.
- April 2020 → Named a Generation Google Scholar.
- Janurary 2020 → Started a winter internship at Facebook AI Research as a Software Engineer Intern working on Habitat.
- November 2019 → Named a Cisco Scholar.
- August 2019 → Named a SHPE Undergraduate Scholar.
- August 2019 → Started work as a Teaching Assistant for CS 7643 Deep Learning at Georgia Tech.
- May 2019 → Started a summer internship at Amazon A9 as a Software Engineer Intern working on deep learning models for augmented reality shopping.
- August 2018 → Awarded an Estelle Z. Blalok Scholarship.
- May 2018 → Started an internship at Georgia Tech Research Institute as a Research Intern working on signal classification and reinforcement learning.
- Incoming Teaching Assistant : CS 7643 Deep Learning, Spring 2021
- Teaching Assistant : CS 7643 Deep Learning, Fall 2020
- Teaching Assistant : CS 7643 Deep Learning, Fall 2019
- Teaching Assistant : CS 7641 Machine Learning, Spring 2019
Selected Research and Projects
Michael Piseno, Abhishek Das
This is an ongoing research project that attempts to use selfplay to learn object navigation in 3D enviornments, which is a historically difficult task. Other uses of selfplay for curriculum generation have mostly been limited to much more simple observation spaces.
This is an ongoing project that examines the broader societal impact of mass autonomous vehicles adoption in a political sense, where political is used to refer to the arrangement of people and organizations of hierarchies in society.
Incoming Research Intern
Georgia Institute of Technology
Spring 2021; Fall 2020; Fall, Spring 2019
Software Engineer Intern
Facebook AI Research
Software Engineer Intern
Software Engineer Intern
Georgia Tech Research Institute
Summer, Fall 2018
Honors and Awards
Scholarship awarded based on merit and need. 10 awarded annually and determined by SHPE and Intel.Description
Research scholarship awarded for undergraduate research involvement and intention to pursue a research career.Description
Generation Google Scholar
Awarded anually for impact on underrepresented groups in computer science to 10 students.Description
Cisco Enterprise Business Group Scholar
Awarded to 2 Georgia Tech College of Conputing Students for academic excellence and demonstrated need.
SHPE Undergraduate Scholar
Awarded to ~40 students annually for academic excellence and involvement with Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers.Description
Estelle Z. Blalok Scholar
Scholarship from the endowment fund of Estelle Z. Blalok. Awarded to needy Georgia residents each year.Description
Awarded for best use of the Authorize.net API; developed a web application that performs object detection using tensorflow and recommends buying options.Description
UGA Experiential Learning Scholar
Scholarship given to a handful of students that demonstrate strong academic ability and faculty recommendations. Chosen by a committee of UGA faculty each year.Description
CURO Research Assistantship
Scholarship given to 500 students each year to participate in faculty-mentored research at UGA.Description